Total PA Premier is a no-excuses all-in-one loudspeaker system that can cover a large area with powerful, articulate sound, but is easy to set up and flexible enough to handle a wide variety of inputs and auxiliary equipment. This article will answer the most commonly asked questions about the ION Audio Total PA Premier.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I connect with a Bluetooth device?
- How far is the Bluetooth range?
- How loud can it get?
- Can I use a physical input and Bluetooth at the same time?
- Will the USB port charge my phone?
- The unit is powering off automatically after 30 minutes. Is this normal?
- My speaker isn't connecting to the Sound XP app. What do I do?
- How do I control the lights from the Sound XP app?
- Does this speaker run off of battery power?
- How do I link two Total PA Premiers in a stereo pair?
- Can I link the Total PA Premier to a different speaker for stereo sound?
- The lights aren't moving to the music when Beat Sync is enabled. What's wrong?
- Can I play music off of a USB thumb drive or SD card? If so, which type of storage device should I use?
- Can I connect a mic to this speaker?
- I can't hear the mic signal. What's wrong?
- I'm having trouble connecting to my Bluetooth device. What should I do?
How do I connect with a Bluetooth device?
1. Turn on your Bluetooth device.
2. Power on Total PA Premier.
3. Use the Mode button to select Bluetooth as the audio source, which appears as "bt" in the display. Total PA Premier will automatically go into pairing mode to search for Bluetooth devices. You will know you are in pairing mode when the Bluetooth icon is flashing.
4. Navigate to your Bluetooth device’s setup screen, find Total PA Premier, and connect. When connected, the Bluetooth icon will remain solidly lit.
Note: Users should consider updating their device’s OS if experiencing trouble with pairing or playing music.
5. To disconnect pairing, turn off Bluetooth on your device or select Forget this device on your Bluetooth device’s setup screen.
The range of the Bluetooth connection of the Total PA Premier is up to 100 feet - as long as the transmitting audio source is not moving around, there are no obstructions between the audio source and the Total PA Premier, and it is not in a pocket or covered in any way. The range can be also be affected by the Bluetooth chipset in the audio source as well.
The Total PA Premier contains a 15" woofer and 1" Tweeter allowing for 500W of peak power for a big, powerful sound.
Yes! Both the audio from a Bluetooth-connected device and a physical input can play at the same time.
The Total PA Premier has a 1A USB port that will charge your USB devices and keep them ready to go!
The Ion Audio Total PA Premier will enter an energy-saving mode after 20 minutes unless an audio signal is detected and playing from one of the following sources:
- Auxiliary Input
- XLR Line Input
Note: The signal from a connected microphone will not prevent the energy-saving mode from activating.
When the Total PA Premier enters the energy-saving mode the display and lights will turn off and audio playback will be disabled, but the unit will still be powered on. To resume normal use and disable the energy-saving mode, simply turn a knob or press a button on the unit. Pressing a button on the included remote will also wake the unit from this mode. Once it is awakened, the lights and display will turn on and audio playback can resume.
All ION Audio products enabled for support with the ION Sound XP app will have two Bluetooth profiles that appear on your device. One name will appear as Total PA Premier and the other will be Total PA Premier_BLE.
To connect with the app, please do not connect to the Total PA Premier_BLE version in your device’s Bluetooth settings. This must be free for the app to find your ION Audio speaker.
1. Install the ION Sound-XP app from Apple's App Store or Google Play.
2. Open Bluetooth settings on your device and connect to Total PA Premier.
IMPORTANT: Do not connect to Total PA Premier_BLE. That is for the app to connect with the speaker to control the speaker settings. If your device is connected to the Total PA Premier_BLE, the App will not be able to connect.
3. Open the ION Sound-XP app and touch the screen to select "Add A Product".
4. The app will scan and find your speaker and it will appear on the screen.
5. Select your speaker's icon to go to the next screen. You will then be able to control the speaker settings from your device.
The Total PA Premier does not have an internal battery and will need to be connected to an outlet with the included power cable.
You can wirelessly link two Total PA Premier speakers by doing the following:
1. Power on both speakers using their Power Switches.
2. With no Bluetooth connected, press the Mode button on one Total PA Premier to select Bluetooth as the audio source, which appears as "bt" in the display. This will be the "secondary" speaker.
3. Press the Link button on a second Total PA Premier to enter Stereo Link Mode. This will be the "primary" speaker.
4. Wait up to 1 minute for the speakers to make the connection. Once the two speakers are linked, press the Mode button on the "primary" speaker to select the desired audio source.
5. To disconnect, double-press the Link button on the "primary" speaker.
NOTE: Alternatively, you can link two Total PA Premiers using an XLR cable. See the section directly below for further instructions.
While you won't be able to wirelessly link the Total PA Premier to a different speaker model, you can use an XLR cable to make a physical connection between both speakers. First, be sure to verify that the additional speaker has a line-level input. To do this:
1. With the Power Switch on each speaker is turned to the off position, connect each speaker to a power outlet.
2. Plug an XLR cable into the Mix Out located on the rear panel of one Total PA Premier. This speaker (the primary) is the one to which you will connect audio sources such as a Bluetooth device, microphone, or USB flash drive.
3. Plug the other end of the XLR cable into the XLR Input (line-level) on the second speaker. This second speaker will receive the audio from any device that is connected to the primary speaker.
4. Power on both speakers using their Power Switches.
5. Connect your audio sources to the primary speaker.
6. Make sure that each speaker’s Master Volume control is set to the same position.
7. With one of your audio sources playing, gradually turn up the Aux Input Volume on the secondary speaker until the volume of this speaker matches the volume of the primary speaker.
NOTE: If you are connecting the Total PA Premier to a different speaker model, be sure to check the speaker's documentation for a line-level input. These most commonly will be an XLR input or 1/4" input. If the secondary speaker has a 1/4" line-level input, use an XLR to 1/4" cable to establish a connection.
The Total PA Premier's Beat Sync function responds mostly to bass frequencies to mimic the rhythm of the music. If the lights are not responding, try playing a different song that is more beat-driven with a clear bass presence.
Can I play music off of a USB thumb drive or SD card? If so, which type of storage device should I use?
The Total PA Premier has a USB port and an SD slot to play media directly from a connected storage device. The Total PA Premier is compatible with all standard USB/SD drives with a capacity of up to 64GB.
When playing music from a USB or SD drive, be sure to format your audio as an MP3 and place the files directly on the root of the drive.
Absolutely! The Total PA Premier has two available mic channels to connect dynamic microphones and can be used simultaneously. For ease of use, each mic channel has the option of connecting via an XLR cable or 1/4" cable.
NOTE: This speaker is not compatible with condenser microphones as they require phantom power. Please be sure to check your mic's documentation before connecting to the Total PA Premier.
If you are unable to hear the signal from your microphone, be sure to check the following:
- Verify that your mic is dynamic and not a condenser mic. The Total PA Premier will not be able to amplify a condenser mic as it requires phantom power.
- Each mic channel has its own dedicated volume knob. With your Master Volume already adjusted, increase the corresponding Mic Input Volume knob until you hear the mic signal.
If you are having trouble connecting the Total PA Premier to your Bluetooth device, first ensure that it is not already connected to a different device. You can verify this by looking at the Bluetooth icon. If it is solidly lit, then you will need to disconnect the speaker from the other device first.
To disconnect pairing, turn off Bluetooth on your device or select Forget this device on your Bluetooth device’s setup screen.