The ION Audio Explorer XL is a powerful 5 XL™️ 220-Watt speaker system that delivers massive omni-directional sound using 5 speakers. To get the party started, choose ION’s Touch FX™️ technology and FX Record™️ to use the 4 back-lit pads to trigger 40 unique sound effects and record your own sounds. This guide will answer the most popular questions about the features and functionality of the Explorer XL.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is included in the box?
- What are the dimensions of the Explorer XL?
- What is the water resistance rating on the Explorer XL?
- What does the Boom button do?
- How do I pair the Explorer XL with my Bluetooth device?
- My Bluetooth device sees the Explorer XL but is unable to connect to it. How do I reconnect my device to it?
- Can I wirelessly link my Explorer XL with other ION speakers?
- How many sound effects are included?
- Can I create my own sound effects?
- Why doesn't my microphone work?
- How do I prevent feedback from the microphone?
- I'm using the microphone but I cannot hear myself over the music. How can I hear myself better?
- What are the battery specifications?
- Can I replace the battery myself?
- Can I use the USB port on the Explorer XL to play music off of a flash drive or hard drive?
The Explorer XL comes with the following:
- Explorer XL speaker
- Microphone with 8ft cable
- IEC Power/Charging cable
- Quickstart Guide and Safety and Warranty booklet
The Explorer XL is 14.6" W x 9.9" D x 17.7" H, or 370 x 252 x 450 mm
The Block Rocker Plus is IPX5 level water-resistant, which means it is ok to get a little wet. Technically speaking, an IPX5 rated device can withstand anything from light rain to splashing water, to even water jets (think super-soaker). Avoid any extended periods of wetness (i.e. leaving it out in the rain), powerful water jets, or submerging the Block Rocker Plus in water.
Pressing the Boom button will enhance the bass EQ and volume and activate a light show that pulses to the beat of the music.
Follow these steps below to pair your Bluetooth device to the Explorer XL:
- Turn on your Bluetooth device.
- Power on Explorer XL. The speaker will automatically enter pairing mode. If you have previously connected to another Bluetooth device, Explorer XL will reconnect. To disconnect pairing if the Bluetooth icon is lit solid, press and release the Bluetooth button.
- Navigate to your Bluetooth device's setup screen, find Explorer XL and connect. The Bluetooth icon will be lit solid when paired. Note: If your Bluetooth device prompts you for a pairing code, enter "0000".
- To disconnect pairing, press and release the Bluetooth button.
- To connect to another Bluetooth device, repeat step 3.
In your device's Bluetooth settings, select Explorer XL and choose "Forget This Device". After turning the Explorer XL off and then back on, you should be able to connect your device.
The Explorer XL can wirelessly link with one other Explorer XL speaker.
There are 32 total sounds included. Each of the following categories includes 8 different sounds: DJ Effects, Drum Hits, Crowd Noises, and Party Sounds.
The FX Rec button will allow you to record a 30 second sound using any source (Bluetooth, the radio, or the inputs).
Follow the steps below to check if your microphone is working properly:
- Be sure that the RADIO function is off.
- Connect the microphone and turn it on.
- Press the Control knob and select MIC. Then turn the Control knob to around the 3 O’clock position.
- Speak clearly into the microphone while slowly turning the master volume up. You should begin to hear your voice through the speaker.
The Master Volume knob controls the output level for all the sources (Radio, Bluetooth, Aux-in, and Microphone).
Keep the microphone pointed away from the speaker. Check out the following article to learn more:
The master volume of the Block Rocker Plus controls the speaker's main mix volume, which includes your music AND the microphone. If you're experiencing difficulty hearing the microphone signal over your music, try turning the music down from your source device (e.g. your phone or tablet).
When fully charged, the Explorer XL has a battery life of about 100 hours when used at a low or moderate volume level. battery life may vary based on temperature, age, and volume usage of the speaker.
Yes! The 12V, 7AH lead-acid internal battery can easily be replaced when necessary. The batteries are readily available direct from ION Audio or other online retailers and are even easy to find at your local hardware store. Visit our link below to inquire about obtaining a new battery for your Explorer XL direct from ION Audio.com:
The USB port is a charging port only. You can plugin your device's charging cable and recharge on the go. Note: the speaker must be powered on in order to charge your device.